Social icons

The same but different

Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Skirt: Anthropologie (similar on sale here) Tweed Jacket: Vintage (love this one) Boots: Old (similar here) Top: Des Petits Hauts (last seen here) Coat: J.Crew Necklace: Accessorize (also love this one) Heels: Anthropologie (similar on sale here) Bag: J.Crew (similar here) Belt: Mulberry Hat: Anthropologie (similar here) Watch: Micheal Kors Bracelet: Etsy

Have you noticed how you can completely alter the look of an outfit just by changing the accessories, shoes or coat? I know I'm not alone in finding this nuance fascinating, otherwise following fashion bloggers would be a bit redundant really. I mean, the two looks in this post are totally dissimilar yet the the core outfit remains unchanged. One is relaxed with some bad ass ankle boots and wouldn't be out of place in a Tori Amos video (google her if you were born after 1995). The other is elegant and makes me want to go hang out around Somerset House, order Fizz and go home by taxi. 

The reaction the outfits got from passersby was different too. When I was all poshed up the wind blew my skirt around and onlookers giggled and engaged with me, but my bad ass boots may have intimated middle class Devon (all out walking their dogs or toddlers as was I fyi) because no one met my gaze in that get up... well either that or my fellow walkers were wondering what on earth I was up to in a tulle skirt on Dartmoor in the drizzle and were too polite to stare. Either way, I love both outfits and the point I'm trying to make is that by making a different choice a small change will alter how a look is perceived. 

If you're anything like me you have a wardrobe stuffed full of clothes and a number of go to pieces that you wear over again usually in the same fashion. People you know remember your clothes. Perhaps when you go to your wardrobe, in spite of the sheer volume available the inevitable wail of 'I have nothing to wear' echoes in your brain. Well, today I'm suggesting you look at your clothes from another perspective. Wear a dress as a skirt with a sweater or shirt over the top. Turn the collar up on your shirt. Add weight to your outfit with a scarf or layered necklaces. Change the length of your favorite jeans by rolling them up a little.  Play around with heel height and different trousers, maybe tie a belt in an unusual way. Heck, steal your husband's tie and get creative (not like that...). Apart from being hugely FUN, playing dress up will also highlight any gaps in your wardrobe which is helpful for the next time you go shopping. You'll be surprised at how versatile your clothes are, but the best bit will be when someone who knows you well will comment on your new look and you can honestly say "what this old thing..?" Cue smug smirk.

All Things Thursday Link Party

Post a Comment

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.