Social icons

A Grand Idea

Tuesday, 5 November 2013

From the moment I saw this top draped beautifully over a stunning model in the Anthropologie catalogue I knew I had to have it. It was painful to imagine it selling out without having tried it on. When it arrived, delicately wrapped in tissue paper, I half hoped it would be a disappointment... oh, oh, oh it was not. The fabric is so light it's like wearing a wisp (you know, one of those floating lights from mythology) and it it were not for the beads adding weight it could just float off into the ether. The beading is reminiscent of the 1920's, an era I've always loved; the clothes, the architecture, the sense of joie de vivre that hovered over the emerging social scene, permeating the writing of the time. It was also a time of movement within the previously rigid class system, a social experiment played out on a grand scale.

So for me, this outfit is more than just a beautiful top paired with distressed denim, it's a nod to an experiment which has over time led to our modern culture; a melting pot of values, ideas and standards to which we hold ourselves accountable... and it looks damn cute too. The boyfriend jeans are from Gap and I've wore them consistently through spring, summer and now autumn, they sit well on the hip without a belt and without bagging around the bottom. The coat is another Anthropologie find, I love everything about it, the fresh colour is a great way to pep up winter palor and the three-quarter length sleeves mean this baby will see me all the way through spring.

Top and coat: Anthropologie (here and here). Denim: Gap. Shoes: old (similar here). Headband: similar here. Belt: from a selection at Feather & Stitch. Bag: Anthropologie. Watch: Bell & Ross. Jewelery: Stella & Dot, gifts and my own vintage finds. Sunglasses: By Marc by Marc Jacobs.











6 comments

  1. That coat is gorgeous, especially the colour, I've seen so many beautiful baby blue coats around at the moment.

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if pink is the colour for autumn, blue will be the colour for spring?

      Delete
  2. that shirt is perfection! Thanks for linking up for Passion For Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thank you for hosting, I've been enjoying the other blogs too x

      Delete
  3. Beautiful top! And I absolutely love the coat.
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, of course I agree 100%. When Anthropologie get's it right, they really get it right x

      Delete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.