Social icons

Mansized

Thursday, 21 November 2013
Gender equality is not an issue I choose to read about often, in spite of the fact that it gets a lot of press. Mainly because it makes my blood boil. The idea we need to state that the genders are equal and should be treated equally rather than it just being so frankly gets my goat. It's been ninety-five years since women were given the right to vote in the UK and even less time since it's been considered acceptable for women to wear trousers. Try to imagine a world where Katherine Hepburn was considered scandalous for wearing wide leg slacks; or being shocked by an image of Marlene Dietrich in a tailored tuxedo. These ladies were mavericks of their time. It's ironic therefore that although wearing trousers coincided with the evolution of gender equality it wasn't until it was endorsed by celebrity status and popularized by the fashion houses of the time that women truly embraced trousers as a wardrobe staple. 

Personally I'm not sure what to make of that, at least not within the brevity of this post. I may come back to it another time. I do know that I love a wide leg slack on a woman. They are nonchalant, comfortable, beautifully tailored and oh so subtly sexy with a heel. They look equally good paired with a feminine top or a structured shirt; throw a cropped jacket on and smoulder. I like to keep accessories minimal for this style. If you're looking to update your wardrobe I suggest taking a peek at Reiss, they are exceptional when it comes to adapting masculine tailoring for women. 

I guess the thing I like most about this look is that it embraces the best of masculine and feminine tailoring. For me, the whole point of the feminist movement and gender equality is to allow women (me) to exist unconstrained, to be free thinkers and to be able to act freely on those thoughts. So I send up a small thank you to the brave people whether they be suffragette activists or maverick fashionistas who paved the way for me to have my cake and eat it too.




Trousers: Ted Baker (mine are old, but I love these) Shoes: Zara Sweater: Anthroplogie Watch: Bell & Ross Coat: Anthropologie


4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, just been checking out your blog too x

      Delete
  2. This outfit looks gorgeous on you! You definitely rock the "border" nicely! Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.