Social icons

For Valentine

Friday, 14 February 2014

Sweater by Zoe Karssen
Skirt by J.Crew
Clutch by Topshop (love this one)
Trenchcoat by Topshop
Courts by Carvela
Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs
Necklace by River Island (seems to be sold out)
Bangle by Stella & Dot
Link bracelet is vintage

Well here we are again. Happy Valentines everyone.

Did you know that the day is given it's name from a Saint? There are several mythologies surrounding the existence of Saint Valentine but the general gist is that he went against the orders of the authority of his time and helped people to marry. For his trouble he was executed most foully in Rome, apparently on February 14th.

Enjoying the romance so far?

In actual fact we owe the romantic overtones of the modern valentine's day to Chaucer; certainly by the time Shakespeare penned his tragic maiden Ophelia (she rued the day she gave it gave it up on valentines) February 14th had become synonymous with love and sex.

Now, I rather like the idea of taking time to celebrate the significant other (S.O.) in your life. You go through a lot together and you deserve to recognise and pay homage to that; but I do feel that like many of today's 'holidays' it has become overly commercial and somewhat cartoon-like in it's representation. Let's face it, for a lot of men V-day is the emotional equivalent of trapping their private parts in a zipper… it's uncomfortable and they'd rather avoid it. There's the pressure of the gift, getting the restaurant right, not drinking too much for fear of performance issues and eeeek finding something meaningful to say about love in a card… it's a lot of expectation.

I guess what I'm trying to say very ineloquently is that however you choose to celebrate valentine's day I hope it is authenticate to you and while I may not be quite ready to throw myself full-throttle at the most romantic day of the year, it's charms are not lost on me. Oh and ladies do you know about March 14th? (Just google it). If your S.O. does fall short this year, I think you'll know the appropriate action to take. So I guess... wear pink and get some!

10 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte, my 'think pink' nod to Valentines. I will probably pop some pink fizz later and toast my marvelous self LOL x

      Delete
  2. Great look! I love your hair and that necklace. Popping by from Passion for Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here Paulette, I've got a lot of milage and compliments for this necklace. I wish Accessorize would restock it.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful glasses, they look good on you :)

    ELLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatjana, it takes me ages to find sunglasses I like. I've had these for years and I don't know what I'd do if I lost them!

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous :) I love it
    Hugs Beata

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this outfit, especially the skirt! :)

    Daisy x
    Daisy's World

    ReplyDelete
  6. In love with your coat & your hair! So lovely <3
    www.adoramehitabel.co.uk
    @adoramehitabel

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.