Social icons

Socks & Sandals

Friday, 28 February 2014
You've seen it. Socks worn with sandals is happening as a women's fashion trend right now. In fact it's been happening for a while, but recent events have caused a stir. We have become somewhat accustomed to seeing cute socks worn with heels adorning the ankles and feet of the fashion crowd for several seasons now but socks worn with a flat sandal (as seen on the Band of Outsiders runaway last autumn, among others)? Whaaaaaaat? So what I want to know and what I'm sure you're wondering is, is this sartorial or are they taking the proverbial?

In 2013 British retailer Debenhams polled it's customers to uncover what is the perceived greatest fashion faux-pas of all time and yes you guessed it, the great British public voted for socks with sandals as the ultimate fashion blunder. It's been no-go for decades. Why then are we continuing to see this dorky trend repeated? What message is being sent? Are we to believe this is now ok? Or is it that one has to have a certain insouciance to pull off the look? Or perhaps the simple action of casting off accepted style and embracing something universally unacceptable is all that's necessary. Honestly I don't know, but while we're figuring it out let's all pop on our oversized bermuda shorts, belted high at the waist naturally, tuck our t-shirts in and go bird watching FFS.

The thing of it is... I rather like it. I won't lie to you, I've always had an air of dork about me. At boarding school I chose to watch Air Wolf over watching rugby and at university I often wore thermal socks under my Birkenstocks to pop out to the corner shop (it was cold up north). My idiosyncrasies amused my friends. The thing is I wouldn't have dreamed that it was making a statement; it was just me being me, doing what I wanted to do. So now I think maybe that's the point. I think fashion is finally giving us the go ahead to just be ourselves. Fashion loves controversy. So what if it's fugly. Do you want to wear socks with sandals? Well go ahead, if that's you, be you. I'll bring the tea and hold your binoculars. 


6 comments

  1. Great post. I totally agree, sometimes you just have to forget about fashion and do as you please. I love the sock with sandal look too...especially when I need to keep my tootsies warm :)x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has it's advantages, I'll have to update my socks though #noholesallowed!

      Delete
  2. Hi lovely! Love your blog! Thank you for sending me your link via the #fblchat! Now following you! Would love it if you could check out my blog, if you haven't had the chance to already.
    Emily @ Beleza by Ems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, thanks for stopping by. I will be popping over to you today x

      Delete
  3. I am all about wearing socks with sandals. People either think I'm being an ironic hipster, I'm socially inept or who knows, I'm just that trendy. Me myself, I don't know. All I know is that I like it, so I do it, and because I like it, I have the confidence to pull it off. That's what it all boils down to I think.

    tie-dye-eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's it too, there's something about feeling comfortable in yourself that transcends fashion. Just look at Grayson Perry CBE.

      Delete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.