Social icons

3 Ways to Wear a Maxi Skirt this Summer

Thursday, 10 July 2014

Oh me oh my I do love the Anthro sale and this season is no exception. I snapped this skirt up the second I saw it online, it's selling out fast so if you want one you'll have to get your skates on. The reason I wanted it is simple... it's incredibly versatile.

Recently in conversation about style choices with mummy friends who read Bella & Bear there's been a common thread. A significant number believe (erroneously) that jeans are the only real wardrobe workhorse available to them. Consequently they have a truck load of skinny jeans to choose from and little else come summertime. Yes jeans are versatile (boyfriend jeans in particular) but they also encourage you to get stuck in a style rut which can be hard to pull yourself out of. If this is you then might I be so bold as to suggest you take a really good look at some of this seasons maxi skirts (I've added links to some of my favourites at the end of this post).

Maxi skirts come in every possible shade, print and material known to man. There are pleated maxis, cross-over maxis, buttoned maxis, pretty fish-tail maxis... there are even maxi skirts that have a concealed zip half way up the leg so the skirt can be transformed into a mini. Talk about versatility! You can wear your maxi skirt as a dress, which is particularly awesome if you're in the early stages of pregnancy but not quite ready to tell the world. Hey jeans. Jeans! Can you do all that jeans? - Jeans slink off sadly to sulk in the cupboard.

If you want to get the most out of a maxi skirt here are my top tips:

An elasticated waist, a little stretch in the waistband is essential in order to wear it as a dress.
If in doubt size up slightly so it doesn't pinch under your arms.
Pleats add movement and structure.
Prints don't show the dirt at the hem so much, making them more wearable.
Beware the short hemline on fish-tails, unflattering knobbly knees alert!
If necessary have your maxi skirt tailored so you don't trip over the hem, or buy a petite size.

Anthro have in fact, restocked the skirt I'm wearing, it's in a different print but it's the same skirt. See it here.

Look 1: Skirt: Anthropologie (on sale). Top: Cos. Shoes: Kurt Geiger. Watch: Bell & Ross. Sunglasses: Ray Ban. Bag: Mulberry. Jewelry: Necklace: Anthropologie (on sale), stacked rings (old), large amethyst jewel ring (antique, similar here), earrings (old).


Look 2: Skirt: Anthropologie (on sale). Waterfall kimono: Anthropologie (old, similar here). Belt: Gap (old). Backpack: Rutbag (on sale with free delivery). Shoes: old (similar by Michael Kors here). Jewelry: as for look 1 except for vintage watch. Sunglasses: Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Look 3: Skirt: Anthropologie (on sale). Shoes: ASOS (on sale). Jewelry & sunglasses as Look 2. Bag: from a tiny shop in Paris.

Alternative maxi skirts to covet:


21 comments

  1. That skirt is perfect! And you look so stunning and happy! I really love this post!

    Could you check out my blog and follow it on bloglovin? I will follow back!
    I have a new post everyday!

    Stay fancy!
    xxx Kelly-Louise

    fancysince1992.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly-Louise! I definitely will check out your blog x

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Love how you have styled it! Ax

    http://inmamaswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea, it's a summer favourite for sure x

      Delete
  3. Such a gorgeous skirt! Love the three ways you styled it! I think my favorite is look #2 with the belted kimono! My post today is similar - styling a maxi dress three ways!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I'll go check out that post now. Thanks for the feedback about the looks, I think the belted kimono is great too, it has a lovely relaxed feel while remaining elegant x

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty floral print and it looks great as a dress. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo, I love playing around with clothes to make them work harder x

      Delete
  5. That skirt is super cute! I love how you wore it 3 ways, so fun!
    Tiffany
    www.stylestealsandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany, off to check out your blog now x

      Delete
  6. This is the kind of skirt I might not buy because I'd think it could be worn only rarely. You totally prove that wrong! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy you've said that. I'm all about buying statement pieces and then working them into different styles to achieve new looks x

      Delete
  7. love this skirt! looks great styled with the black top, and i love it on its own too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, I'm wearing the skirt and black top again today, such an easy outfit to wear x

      Delete
  8. I think I like the first look the most - just adding a tee is such a simple way of changing up a look! xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is so simple. It looks great with a white tee too. This skirt is on repeat this summer! x

      Delete
  9. Hey Emma, first of all I have to admit that your skirt is fabulous. The fabulosity continues with you giving them your personal style touch. Love all the three looks, can't wait to try the skirt looks.

    Saumya
    http://www.myriadmusings.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saumya, please tweet me some pictures when you style your maxi. I'd love to see how you interpret my ideas and make them your own x

      Delete
  10. Maxi skirts are so versatile. You styled it amazingly!

    Love,

    Bong's Belleza

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.