Social icons

Family Breakfast Waffle

Thursday, 28 August 2014
Whenever I go to stay at my folks place I always come away with more than I had when I arrived. My dad fills up the petrol tank before I leave and makes sure I have fresh groceries (and enough wine to sink a ship) so I don't have to go to the supermarket straight after a 4+ hour drive. My mum packs the new cute outfits she's picked up on trips abroad for Bella & Bear and maybe a new toy or two; but some of things I take away, although intangible in their worth, remain far more precious. For example, on my last trip I spent an afternoon going through my mum's recipe book and copied a few childhood favourites into a diary, the one I'm sharing with you today is for 'breakfast' waffles. 

Growing up, whenever my sister and I were asked what we would like for any given meal our reply was unanimously 'waffles'. We loved them warm and dripping with maple syrup. So while Bella & Bear are holidaying with their Dad I've been perfecting my waffle technique. I'm getting rather good and I can't wait to share this piece of my childhood with them. 

You will need:
4oz of plain flour
1 tsp of baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 egg
1/4 pint of milk
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of melted margarine (or butter)
1 x waffle iron

This will make around 4 to 5 waffles.

Separate the egg white from the yolk. In a mixing bowl whisk the egg white until it is stiff and fluffy. In a separate bowl sieve the dry ingredients together. Drop the egg yolk and cooled melted margarine into a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Mix together slowly and beating continuously add the milk until you have a smooth batter. Then gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg white.

Grease the waffle iron with margarine or other non-stick fat substitute (cake release spray will be fine) but butter tastes best. Heat the iron on both sides until it is hot. Spoon just enough batter onto the hot iron to cover one side being careful not to overfil. Close the waffle iron and cook for 2 to 3 minutes turning to ensure the waffle cooks evenly.

Serve each waffle immediately.

1 comment

  1. I could eat a waffle everyday, all day. Haha. I love them. That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.