Social icons

Healthy Chia & Goji Breakfast Bowl

Thursday, 20 November 2014

I love breakfast, in fact if I could have one meal over and over again in a day it would be breakfast. From a simple slice of warm buttered toast, to pancakes with maple syrup and bacon or eggs benedict there's so much to love about the day's first feast. Earlier in the year my daughter called me out on not eating breakfast on school days (I wrote about it here) and ever since I have made a concerted effort to get involved with week day breakfasts. Some days I still skip it opting instead to spend those precious extra minutes washing my hair, but I've noticed recently I've been waking-up hungry and getting up slightly earlier so that I have time to do both. I like this. Feeling full AND having good hair is a great way to start the day.

An interesting new addition has found it's way into my breakfast pantry too, chia seeds. They're the little black seeds you can see on top of the granola and under the goji berries. They are an amazing super food packed full of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fibre and even calcium. I've used them in their raw form here but if you soak them overnight in coconut milk they double up in size and become wonderfully creamy. You can add them to salads, smoothies, homemade granola, a bread mix anything you can think of really. They release energy slowly so eating them can help to normalise fluctuating blood sugar levels and stop that pesky mid-morning snack attack. I find I'm calmer and more productive after I've eaten a proper balanced breakfast, which is a 100% win.

In this breakfast bowl there's a:
Good dollop of full fat greek yoghurt
Layer of Lizi's organic granola mix
Heavy handful of black chia seed
Sprinkling of goji berries
Teaspoon of dark honey (to taste)


Post a Comment

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.